Bruce Davidson

Bruce Davidson
Brooklyn Gang 5

Thursday, October 30, 2014

It's not laziness, it's a different opportunity



“Get your ass up and do something” screamed my brother at me. It is then I realized, the youth of today are lazy. I thought about it and we really are. More and more parents are only deciding to have 1 or 2 kids. This means they have more time to spend with them and to cater out all of their needs. With one complaint, some parents will just throw money away and get what their children ask for. This makes for more people to become lazy and actually be bothered into doing something themselves.

Google research results

I wasn’t sure about myself. I never really thought of myself as a lazy person, or actually more of a very lazy person. I believe we all have those lazy moments where we just want to do nothing at all, which is understandable in today's terms but wasn’t all that much in the 60’s. During the 60’s the hippies were considered lazy by their older generations since they thought differently. Instead of finding a job or an acceptable hobby, many would just take their time into doing their own things and being themselves which was considered laziness by their parents back then. Today, if I decide not to work and to pursue my dream at my own pace, people would be more acceptant of that. According to the Oxfords dictionary, laziness is characterized with a lack of something, desire, care, energy, effort or something that is slow moving.
 Urban Dictionary definition

Is today's youth really considered a lazy generations? I don’t think so. As the youth back in the 60’s, we’re doing things differently. Finding new means to do something in a more efficient way doesn’t make you lazy; it makes you smart and innovative. People might see it as lazy since it is a different way of thinking but lets give it time and it’ll spread. I guess that’s why people think of this generation as lazy. New ways of thinking and changing social norms to more adequate ones where people can feel more “relaxed”.  Studies are showing that youth today are not that lazy, but in fact are just not given enough opportunities. The media might show you one thing but not necessarily the truth. 72% of teenagers out of 3700 say that they would prefer to do a physical activity than to hang out at home. 

So to answer the following, are youth today lazy? At first I thought so but in the end, no, we are not. Older generations may see it as so but we see it as a different opportunity just like the counter movement was in the 60's.

No comments:

Post a Comment