Bruce Davidson

Bruce Davidson
Brooklyn Gang 5

Sunday, December 14, 2014

The Coming Of Angst

A feeling of deep anxiety or dread, typically an unfocused one about the human condition or the state of the world in general, is how the Oxford dictionary defines angst. In todays world, youth are facing more stressful situation then their parents did, mainly through the education system. With late highschool, college and university the main reasons, I do believe that angst is a defining feature in the coming of age process. 
During highschool, teenagers are growing and are starting to think of their future. With that comes the first step of angst. Teenagers are teenagers and their brain is basically like an omelet. The proper ingredient are in but everything is scrambled together and needs order. In an article written on May 6th 2013 on the Global News website, close to 20% of teens suffer from mental issues such as anxiety, stress and depression. when they finish highschool, many will move on to college and university.
During college and university, youth are starting to have a grasp of what they desire to do in their future, but now they need to battle it out. By battle it out I am talking about the large and strong competition of other students around them competing for the same job. This adds a layer of pressure and anxiety on youth. Not only do they have to worry about themselves, they need to worry about others. This can become a free-for-all or a Battle Royale if I may. To ensure that they can have their wanted position, youth will now cut off some of their regular activities, such as sports, video games, hanging out with friends and going out and place themselves in a little shell to study all they can.
Is angst a defining feature of coming of age, I do believe so. With school, social life and work, the youth of today do get overwhelmed. To conclude, as a student myself, I do feel anxious about my future and sometimes I stress out so much, I just go into this "limp mode" where as much work as I have, I will have no willing power to do any. 

No comments:

Post a Comment