Bruce Davidson

Bruce Davidson
Brooklyn Gang 5

Monday, November 17, 2014

A Playlist for Lullabies for Little Criminals

For my third and final blog post, I have made a playlist for the novel Lullabies for Little Criminals by Heather O'Neill.

1. Bang a Gong (Get It On) by T. Rex 

Another New Start
"But having a young parent meant you had to pack up your stuff in an hour and run away from some twenty-two-year-old from Oshawa who was going to be mad at you for selling his guitars." (5)

This fun track by T.Rex felt like an appropriate choice for kicking off the playlist. This book starts with Jules and Baby moving to a new apartment and starting over once again. Baby is used to Jules' antics and sees this as another exciting day with him as a parent. The track is a wild and exciting just like the start of this novel.


2. Please, Please, Please, Let Me Get What I Want by The Smiths

Baby's Twelfth Birthday
"As he shouted all my favorite things, they seemed so cheap to me. They paled in comparison to my desire to be with him." (12)

In this part of the novel, Jules has left Baby on her birthday to get heroin. She is left alone with nowhere to go. This song by the Smiths feels sad but remains soft and sweet. It’s innocent lyrics are simple and almost child-like as he begs for his dreams to come true. Baby’s desires are simple as well, all she really wants is Jules to be with her on her birthday.


3. Soulful Strut by Young-Holt Unlimited

The Arrival of Linus Lucas
"He was fourteen, but he was as tall as a man and almost had a moustache." (29)

This funky track is perfect for Linus Lucas’ arrival to Isabelle’s foster home. A few years older and sporting a gold gym bad and a fedora, Baby describes Linus as the mysterious new guy in town. Despite his depressing circumstances, Linus is smiling and in a good mood. This track is light, breezy and cool just like Linus Lucas.



4. You Get What You Give by New Radicals 

The Youth Center
"These were the most non-judgmental kids I'd ever met. They seemed to accept everyone, even me." (104)

Baby's new group of friends were regarded as outsiders, delinquents and most likely up to no good. This New Radical's track is all about being young and a social outcast. With lyrics criticizing the wealthy or calling out phoney rockstars like Courtney Love and Marilyn Manson, You Get What You Give captures being a young troublemaker while the melody remains fun and hopeful.





5. Hungry Heart - Bruce Springsteen 

Baby and Theo's Friendship
"It occurred to me that Theo was the first person in the world that I trusted. We sat there next to each other and he put his arm around me." (131)

Hungry Heart represents Baby and Theo’s friendship beautifully. Although together they are dysfunctional and toxic, they are drawn together because all they really want is a friend. The love they do not receive from home is found within each other. Springsteen sings:  
"Everybody needs a place to rest
Everybody wants to have a home
Don’t make no difference what nobody says
Ain't nobody like to be alone"


6. Song 2 by Blur

The Break-In
"We looked at each other and a peculiar feeling of excitement came over us. We just started wrecking everything we could think of." (136)

I chose Song 2 by Blur to accompany Baby and Theo’s break-in to Laura’s house. If I had to choose a sound to accompany rebellion and chaos, it would be the chorus of Song 2. With few lyrics, the track does an excellent job at letting the music speak for itself. The song certainly sparks an anarchic mood which accompanies Baby and Theo's feelings at the time of their criminal activity.



7.  Dancing with Myself by Billy Idol

Dancing with Jules
"Jules came into the room and started spinning around and dancing to the music, singing in mock Russian as he knocked things over. There was such racket in the room, I couldn't help but feel better." (169)

When all things go wrong in life, play this song. The catchy Billy Idol track captures the essence of letting go through dance. It’s carefree and seems like the kind of song Jules and Baby would have a great time dancing to. 


8. You Are The Best Thing by Ray LaMontagne 

Baby and Xavier's Love
"I realized that this was the first boyfriend I'd ever had. Despite whatever else had happened to me, this was a brand-new and wonderful thing." (242)

I picked this song by Ray LaMontagne for Baby and Xavier's new found relationship. Baby was going through a particularly difficult time during this part of the novel dabbling in prostitution. Xavier helped her stay grounded and childlike despite her adult experiences. The lyrics are romantic and state “you are the best thing that’s ever happened to me,” which I think is how Baby felt about Xavier at this point in the novel.


9. Gimme Shelter by The Rolling Stones 

Baby's Heroin Run
"Actually, I was going to get very high. I wasn't going to wait for Alphonse to give me an infinitesimal hit; I was going to score the stuff myself." (297)

Gimme Shelter really captures the dangers and violence of living in the city with lyrics like: "rape, murder, is just a shot away." At this point in the novel, Baby has hit her limit and as a result, spirals out of control. In addition to the lyrics, the song's melodies inspire chaos and desperation which is appropriate for Baby's actions.


10. Everything Will Be Alright by The Killers

The End
"Then Janine stepped over to me and squeezed me hard. I could feel my heart beating when she hugged me against her, but now it felt fine." (330)

I chose this track to end both my playlist and the novel. In the end, Jules and Baby get off the bus and approach Janine’s home. The song has a slightly gloomy melody but contrasts it with really uplifting lyrics that are perfect for Baby. Lyrics like “I believe in you and me” are especially fitting for the reconciliation between Jules and Baby just a few pages before. After all she has been through, “everything will be alright.”




No comments:

Post a Comment