Bruce Davidson

Bruce Davidson
Brooklyn Gang 5

Thursday, November 27, 2014

Coming of Age Playlist


Children waiting for the day they feel good
Happy birthday, happy birthday
Made to feel the way that every child should
Sit and listen, sit and listen

These lyrics remind me of Baby’s birthday at the beginning of the book, she feels like a normal child on the day of her birthday because children always feel special on the birthday. Every year this is the day they get one year closer to being like their parents, and Baby's biggest hero at that point is her dad.


The day just started 'cause I'm up with my old friends,
A fat smoke and funny joke.
Sitting like a sponge, and letting everything soak

I left my heart with my phone in my center console.
I left my feelings with my wallet and my keys
I feel so stupid because I came here without anything
But I'm finally at ease

This song reminds me of Baby sitting in the car with her friends and she suddenly just leaves them. This song talks about standing up and finally letting go of negative things around you. Baby leaves her friends because she’s uncomfortable with them.

3. Control - Janet Jackson

It's what I got, because I took a chance
I don't wanna rule the world, just wanna run my life
Ooh
So make your life a little easier
When you get the chance just take

These lyrics talk about making your own decision and taking control of your life. This is what the main character in A&P decides to do. He decides to quit his job for himself, he doesn't want his boss or anyone telling him what to do anymore.


Runnin' wild and lookin' pretty
Hot child in the city
So young to be loose and on her own
Young boys, they all want to take her home
When she goes downtown, the boys all stop and stare

When Baby walks down the street and describes the men and Alphonse looking at her comes alive in this song. Baby always gets looked at by men because she is pretty and she knows it, she just realizes it more when she gets attention from Alphonse.


If you only once would let me
Only just one time
Then be happy with the consequence
With whatever's gonna happen tonight
Don't think we're not serious

In ‘Where Are You Going Where Have You Been’, Arnold tries to convince Connie to come with her and keeps insisting. Connie seems resistant but Arnold keeps using different maneuvers to convince her, these lyrics sound like something Arnold would have said.


She walks to school with the lunch she packed
Nobody knows what she's holdin' back
Wearin' the same dress she wore yesterday
She hides the bruises with linen and lace

When Baby starts prostitution, she still has to go to school and interact with people including her boyfriend, Xavier.. This song talks about a hidden secret and that secret for Baby is her prostitution and Alphonse, she hides it from everyone, Xavier and Jules included.


But now your girl's gone a missin'
And your house has got an empty bed
The folks'll wonder 'bout the wedding
They won't listen to a word you said

This song is about a young man who leaves his strict family after coming out to his mom after his relationship with a woman didn't work out. Patti and Robert still lived together and stayed really good friends no matter what.


This is your life there’s no way to run from it
The doubt in your brain or the pain in your stomach
I only have but one complaint at the moment
Don't paint me black when I used to be golden

Jules and Baby’s relationship keeps going from bad to worse to alright. In one of their worst moments, when Jules has to go to rehab, Baby is obviously hurt by this. These lyrics reflect Baby’s thoughts. She doesn’t want Jules to blame or love her less her because of his actions.


Choking on your alibi
But it's just the price I pay
Destiny is calling me
Open up my eager eyes
'Cause I'm Mr Brightside

Baby has two relationships at one point, with Xavier and Alphonse. Baby is torn with the choice and tries to get away from Alphonse but always go back. Baby has to choose between the two even though the choice is obvious, it’s the price she pays for dating a pimp.



And now I try hard to make it
I just wanna make you proud
I'm never gonna be good enough for you
Can't pretend that
I'm alright
And you can't change me

In ‘Victory Lap’ the kids are going against what their helicopter parents have been controlling them to do. This song talks about how this boy we’ll never be good enough for his dad no matter what he tries. The narrator of the story did the right thing, but still disappoints his parents.

No comments:

Post a Comment