Bruce Davidson

Bruce Davidson
Brooklyn Gang 5

Sunday, November 30, 2014

We are all so bloody stupid...

Why should I, as a youth, need to feel either pessimistic or optimistic about youth today? If I am a youth, why should I need to judge my own generation? The fact is that no matter how hard people try to pull away from the truth, the fact of the matter is that youth today just don’t respond well to criticism anymore, nor are parents allowed to discipline their children in the way they once did. If I were going to say anything about youth today, I would say I am leaning more towards being pessimistic than optimistic.

I am truly, a very optimistic person in life, therefore it is hard for me to admit that I am actually a pessimist in this situation. I have found that no matter how much I try to think positively about my own generation, I cannot seem to find any good bases to start on. As mentioned in an article I found about the problems of youth today: “asked where underage drinking takes place teens cited parties with no parents home…” (responsibility.org). Youths do not want to play it safe, or get home on time…Youths want to have fun and party. We are willing to go to great lengths in order to achieve that goal and no matter how many times someone tries to fix the problem, youths find another way around it. What I am try to say here is that no matter what measures are put in place to try and keep youths out of trouble, they always find a way to get back into it.

 

My pessimism is only encouraged through this statement; “Deveau, who’d had his license just six months and was only seventeen at the time of the accident, swerved across the yellow center line on the road and crashed into an oncoming car driven by father and grandfather Donald Bowley, age 55. Bowley died and left behind a grief-stricken family. Deveau, who was also found guilty of motor vehicle homicide, is serving a year in prison, doing community service, and having his license revoked until he is 33 years old.”(Robinson). I am talking about my pessimism through this because this is the story of a young kid of just seventeen years of age, had his license less than a year and thought it wise to text while driving, even though the law of no texting and driving had just passed. The point I am trying to stress is that no matter what measures are put in place, youths do not listen to authority. We do what we please, when it pleases us. Youths are not going to get better, the only way we might see safer tomorrow is if all youths finally realized their mistakes and took responsibility for their actions…However that will probably never happen anyway. 



Will we ever learn? Ehhhh, it isn’t too likely. We will all probably just end up messing around while only part of us makes it as adults and go on to do something amazing.

No comments:

Post a Comment